Saturday, April 9, 2011

Not always what you think

Wouldn't it be fun if life matched our thoughts/plans? Today we attended a Strawberry festival. It was to be both a family outing and a chance to get some movement. I imagined a beautiful day where we stroll, sample some tasty food, admire a couple of crafts, people watch other families do the same, and hear some good music. Oh doesn't that sound nice? Not at ALL what occurred. We arrived and saw the crazy madness, maybe it isn't as bad as it seems. But oh it was! We unloaded the stroller and began to play mad rush stroller derby with all 100,000 other people. We struggled and rammed our stroller down the crowded lanes and not even two minutes in our little one was turning into a strawberry himself. I believe his stroller design was creating a sauna effect. We spent about a half hour walking around but not at the smooth stolling pace I had hoped. More like a variation between a painstakingly crawl and ramming speed demon. Now festivals serve some of the unhealthiest food in the world because they will fry anything and at the strawberry festival. They fry anything and everything and add strawberry syrup. Delicious! In a sickening sweetly kind of way. Ahh they have maybe my favorite carnival treat, funnel cakes. Aren't those treats awesome? They hold so many memories of fun. These aren't an everyday treat, funnel cakes mean you are having the time of your life (carnivals, amusement parks, festivals). And we saw a location that was selling funnel cakes with 10 different toppings, oh my, delicious fried goodness with powder sugar and a topping selection. Oh too much temptation. I love variety and always feel empowered by a choice of limited edition selections. You never want to miss an opportunity to have the tastiest treat ever!!! But with this much build up could any treat ever meet this demand. No. And funnel cakes have a gazillion calories with no nutritional value. So my victory was bypassing these sweet treats (although a peanut butter choice and a chocolate strawberry choice did catch my eye of fancy). Also another food victory at the festival was we had picked up lunch three selections for thirty dollars. Are you serious? And no drinks! Outrageous! But festival prices never fit reality. We begin to eat I had chosen a turkey leg. This meal was like munching a brontosaurus bone. Ridiculously big, it also tasted a lot like ham which wasn't what I was going for. And after the ridiculous amount spent there is a click in the brain I must eat all of it as not to waste the money. But my new way of thinking is reteaching the brain, the money is gone. It is not coming back. If I am full after eating a third of what I ordered then I am still wasting the food by continuing to munch. The only difference is I have to carry the extra food at my waist instead of treating it like the waste it is and throwing it away. My stomach is starting to send the signals to my brain and I am actually starting to hear its message. STOP EATING! I wonder how long my stomach has been trying to share these messages. "I am full. We're good. Please stop!" But slowly I am beginning to hear the murmurs and feeling the difference. May your HealthFULL Journey be FULL of ideal moments and true connections. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment