Sunday, April 3, 2011

Going Old School

Today the food victory is learning balance. I still have so far to go with my nutritional habits, but understand to truly lose weight and become healthy I have to change both the eating habits and the exercise habits, together and utilize both changes consistently. Otherwise it is just dabbling and no real effect can take hold. Today I tried a Boost shake with Glucose Control. There was one time in my life of yo yo diets that I lost a good amount of weight with the Slim Fast Diet. And though I would never use these on an everyday basis as I am not looking for any more fad diets but thought the occasional stand in with lots of vitamins/minerals could work for those rushed mornings. It was okay but it isn't real food. And I really want to focus on eating "real food". Then we attended church and received communion which was a food victory too. It is a part of health that I want to rebuild and continue to grow my spiritual health. This is a HealthFULL Journey and that means I have to remember myself as a WHOLE individual. It was good to be in church and nuturing to my soul. It was a need that was being overlooked. And after church we went out to eat. Isn't this a Sunday tradition for most families? It appears so when you start to look at restaurants to eat. With a little one I am still not all that comfortable in most restaurants, depending on wait, cost, places to sit our lil' one's carrier I am not familiar to the best options. Well we ended up at a Chinese Buffett. Oh so many visits have I had to these types of restaurants. So many options, so very few healthy ones. But so many favorites. I tried to focus more on vegetable choices, less fried, and less sauced. I was somewhat successful. Its baby steps. It is so empowering to leave the restaurant not overly stuffed and hobbling from that stuffed feeling. (That is such a depressing statement that I even know that feeling!) But that is why this HealthFULL Journey is needed, because it is time to for change and to LIVE. Where does the balance come? Well I had a light breakfast, heavy lunch, and a super light dinner, actually haven't eaten yet. But thinking of something light as it is quarter to midnight. Movement today was hoping for the park or a family walk as it was such a gorgeous day but we have had a family to do list that was growing dust. We have made headway and that is exciting, plus with it being Sunday, family nap sounded so nice (and it was !). So excercise turned into fifteen minutes of old school warm-ups. I attempted excercises that were a part of my daily life as an elementary school student. Oh my Goodness!!!! My body certainly is not the same as it was. I completed jumping jacks which used to be my favorite. Not so much any more. Those suckers burn in the calves. And windmills, well they can wind ya! I also got a tish dizzy and lost count several times. But in a weird way fun that I actually could still complete these. On to cherry pickers, tap the ground three times stretching further back with each pat and reaching to the sky :) Sure but once again did it. Now unto mountain climbers, um wow, so not easy! I accomplished ten which really would have counted for two and half back in the day. Moving forward winded, tired, and in disbelief that there is still six minutes to go I continued to sit ups and push ups. Shocking but my abs need some work. Crazy I know but sit-ups weren't pretty. And on the push-ups I attempted them from my knees, which even my dog felt I needed a trainer. She showed encouragement by slapping the back of my head with her big ol' paw. Thanks Sgt. Belle. Still not done? My timer has to be broken! So I finished up with some Tae Bo moves and then the last two minutes I did a cool down of arm circles, neck circles, and tip toe reaches. Wow those fifteen minutes never felt so long, but they are fifteen minutes on the journey to HealthFULL strides. Another marker to see in the future. When mountain climbers aren't strenuous and the push-ups aren't so bad that even my dog needs to paw slap my head :) May your journey include steps to fulfill all your HealthFULL needs. May love and encouragement come from all aspects of your life and make you smile when you need it the most. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment