Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Final Hour

Oh this was a close one to pull out my fifteen minutes of movement. I went for a bike ride, on the Wii that is. And with my directional illiteracy I got lost on the game. I worked out for 31 minutes and twenty four was on a bike ride(Expert course) that I only gathered 9 flags when I am suppose to collect 20. I really was trying to finish but I drove off the cliff three times in a row within forty five seconds. And sometimes there is just a moment to throw in the towel. The third nosedive was my breaking point. I enjoy moving with Wii Fitness, it's kind of cheesy(which I like :) , they tried to throw in some variety so that you have a reason to come back for more, and it makes me laugh. For instance a doggy followed me on part of the route and when I nosedived and I was sent back to my last flag and a different doggy was waiting to follow me. There was a moment I reminisced my frustration on an electronic footing. Who remembers the Nintendo Power PAD??? Oh that's right I raced the great cheetah and it was a hit or miss for me. I could soar through all the other characters but that quick cheetah was one fast cat. I have never been a runner. Even from a young age races did not come easy, and distance? Forget about it. I don't know if I lacked motivation, talent, or am just uncoordinated. Even in dreams where I am being chased most likely I will just stop and suffer the consequences, anything to stop the running. And yet I watch the joggers downtown where I work and they look so motivated and at peace. I have always secretly yearned that maybe deep down I am a runner. I have a goal of running a mile in under seven minutes forty five seconds. Now, I really can't recall running a mile under ten minutes in my lifetime. But this time isn't picked randomly. Back in high school I played volleyball as a ninth grader and we trained with the varsity and jv teams. To make varsity you had to be able to run under seven minutes forty five seconds because that was a sign of good health. True this was a sign of good health for teenagers. But there is a part of me that thinks just maybe with the right training. I really can do that and once again that will be a mental victory I can't even imagine. It might shut up the old critic that nags at my thoughts once and for all (or least put a sock in it for a long while :) So that is a future goal. Heck a mile under ten would most likely make me cry. But that means losing weight and getting coordinated and hopefully if I keep my focus on this HealthFULL Journey that is exactly what will happen. The food victory was small but a start. It was a long day at the office and though we had a meal plan in place I just wasn't prepared to stand on my feet and away from my baby boy. So I called up my hubby and told him I was willing to pick up some To Go Food. Not quite fast food, so that's a start. I didn't gorge when I came home from work. It helped that dinner was ready to go. I had a choice of two sides and normally I would pick mashed potatoes especially loaded mashed potatoes. They are such a comfort food, definitely in my top five. (Rounded out by poached eggs the way my mom does with torn up toast my staple when sick, thank goodness hubby has learned how to make them:), Pizza (who doesn't list pizza in their top five comforts), Chinese (a craving, my rebellion food when out on my own, and just yumminess painted by romantic scenes in tv and movies of eating out of the take out containers) and last pasta (a big plate smothered in sauce...ooooh yum). And Cheese doesn't count as a comfort food for me because it is a staple. I don't even count it. Which needs to change. But those are my "home-warming" meals. So the victory was not to reach out for comfort of thick loaded mashed taters but to actually peruse my options. I chose seasonal vegetables and black beans. I adored the black beans! The seasonal vegetables were okay (broccoli with carrot shreds). And though it wasn't the best options hands down, it also wasn't the worst and I am excited that I am looking for options and not settling for comfort and familiarity. This HealthFULL Journey is moving inward so that I can change my outward. May your journey allow you time to reminisce and then encourage you to move forward to see what else is left to discover and conquer. 'Til we meet again. . .

1 comment: