Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Difference of a week

I am a week into my ten day challenge of real food.  Maybe I should say the household is seven days into this journey because I certainly am not the only one experiencing the changes.  I was calm this morning and afternoon. The first couple of days I was feeling deprived because I was avoiding chemicals and packages and packages of preservatives.  I was anxious of what would I eat, what could I eat?  I was tense and frenetic because my easy go to comforts were to be forgotten.  And this morning I wasn't consumed by thoughts of food.  There is none of my soda in the house nor has been for a week.  And here I still breathe and yes even function.  There has been moments I have driven to the store close to midnight to stock my fridge or in the middle of the storm to avoid living through the storm without my safety net of soda. 

That's an interesting thought - how many times do I charge into the storm to avoid simply letting the storm pass.  Storms make us nervous, they are unpredictable, can cause damage, and usually change our surroundings.  I do this a lot in my life - if an uncomfortable situation is on the horizon I feel I have to shape the storm;  Loved ones fighting - soothe ruffled feathers, events not happening (monotonous ruts) have to stir things up - sometimes take on the planning, Friends struggling -cheer them on or advise away from the pain.  Some of this sounds good but sometimes we need the storm and have to pray the destruction isn't horrible.  We need the rain to wash away the dust and our messes.  We might need the flash of lightning to see and sometimes we need to hear the thunder to help us find safety in new locations. 

So once again I ran into the storm with this ten day challenge of real food.  And at first I was scared, I was nervous if I could reach it to the end.  But by going through the process for seven days I have a base of knowledge  - what's okay to eat, I know my downfalls, and I feel accomplished.  I made an eggplant casserole with chicken and it gave me confidence.  Not only do we have quite a few more meals.  But I did it.  I cooked with real ingredients, came out with a real winner of a meal (eggplant even my husband enjoyed as I have learned a couple tricks how to prepare it.) And this morning I woke up not all of my thoughts consumed by food.  Actually very little thought about food.  My son went down for a nap and I didn't obsess what I could consume before he awoke.  This is an eerily peaceful feeling.  It's kind of nice and soothing.  It's like I woke up without a sliver in my foot.  That I have had this nagging feeling and was so used to that feeling I was almost numb.  But without this "sliver" I am oddly aware of what is missing.  Kind of strange, but soothing at the same time.

Today's exercise was another run with the Hula DVD.  I realize I really like switching up the DVDs weekly.  I renewed my choices last week as I didn't make it to the library last week and I am ready for something new that will motivate me to get moving. 

May your healthfull journey prepare you for the storms in your life. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment