Monday, May 2, 2011

Feeling "Real"

It hasn't been easy to find the rhythm to this ten days of Real Food.  I hope in my first rant it didn't turn people away from the challenge.  It is rewarding and a huge eye-opener.  Here I am thinking I am eating tons healthier with a few vices.  But no, a lot of what lines ares shelves is full of preservatives, chemicals, and "enhancers".  Stop the enhancing, just give me the real thing!  I know there will be slipping back into some old patterns within four more days.  That's right over half-way through the challenge.  Some minor slips, some minor permissions on my part, but a radically different diet to my system.  I have definitely consumed more produce and whole grains in the last six days than I probably get in my system in a month. 

I say I am feeling real because we ate a meal that actually resembled one of our favorites: tacos.  Ground Turkey Breast Tacos seasoned with our own spices.  No spice kit here  (and we've been a fan of many!) Our shells were blue ground corn tortillas (only three ingredients!).  A little sour cream, a beautiful avocado, with some black beans and brown rice.  (Usually refried beans and white "chili" rice have been our sides before).  It was filling and good.  Different.  I can start to tell the difference in my taste buds.  I have confessed my diet soda obsession and it is freeing to not have to buy my twelve packs (about 3) every two weeks.  My "need" for sugar is way down.  Which I think my body is responding that I am tired.  This could be a very sad detail to my life if the reason I can't sleep is how much sugar I consume on a daily basis.

I also I would say I am starting to feel more energized.  I don't know if that is the best description, maybe up.  At least I feel I am getting a lot more accomplished in a day.  Yes three days in was hard because it was just overwhelming how many ingredients are in my pantry and not all that sound edible.  So we move forward, bellies full, energy up, and a whole new approach to food. 

May your HealthFULL Journey be exciting, healthy, inspiring, and motivating for you.  'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment