Saturday, October 31, 2009

Couscous is all the rage!

Most weeks I have shared about either a new fruit or vegetable. However this week I am sharing about a new grain we tried and prepared. Couscous! Now in my quick research through wikipedia.org and one of our cookbooks entitled Vegetarian; couscous is a lengthy process to prepare. Or I should say once was time-consuming to prepare as there was a lengthy steaming requirement before the grain could be consumed. However, the couscous most of us will find in our supermarkets requires very little preparation time. Couscous appears to have a grainy texture, but is actually a pasta. I think of it as a pasta crumb. The size of couscous is very small. You can prepare couscous as part of your main entree or as a dessert as several culture prefer. Some choose to use it as the main ingredient or because of its blandness couscous can help "calm" a spicy dish. We ate a yummy veggie chili on this gorgeous autumn evening and included couscous as recommended by the recipe. A little couscous goes a long way. The small bites included a lot of chewy texture. It was a fun challenge to try to eat just one bit of couscous at a time. It reminded me of either crumbs made of pasta which I mentioned or similiar to a nibble of old-fashioned dumplings. The chewiness that quickly picks up the flavor of the entire dish. It will be fun to see what other dishes we can add this little punch of texture into the future. As you explore your HealthFULL Journey may you find little surprises that enhance the whole experience. I continue to try to Fully Understand Life by Living, I encourage for you to do the same. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment