Saturday, October 3, 2009

Which vegetable pulls at your Heart?

Hearts of palm, of course! Can you guess the vegetable of the week? If you guessed Heart of Palm you would be correct. They sure are tasty! This entry is going to be short because I feel I cheated a bit on the new vegetable as it was not prepared in our own kitchen by myself or my hubby. I let a restaurant take on the weekly task and feel I am halfway trying something new. I feel part of introducing the new "healthy treat" of the week should be prepared in my own kitchen. As part of the problem of not eating healthier is being intimidated by the unfamiliar factor. In the future, I will try to keep it prepared within my sight at the very least. If you like artichoke hearts you will be fond of the Heart of palm. It is also an extremely healthy veggie to consume according to the information found on nutritiondata.com which included the following statement. Hearts of Palm are a good source of Protein, Riboflavin and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Copper and Manganese. The Hearts of Palm has a hearty almost strong texture that falls into the stalk vegetable family - think asparagus and celery as relative cousins. The taste is similar to artichoke hearts. I sampled this new veggie in a huge salad mix with a ton of vegetables. The hearts of palm were easy to single out with their salty and tangy taste. I highly encourage you to grab this tasty treat to elevate any salad you plan to create. It will bring some meatiness, a whole of tanginess, and a little bit of fancy to the table. Hope you are enjoying your own HealthFULL Journey. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment