Saturday, October 24, 2009

Looking for the Extra Step!!!

Do you like easy? Do you try to save time? Do you cut corners when able? I could answer yes to these questions most of the time. Sometimes it feels that the world is moving too fast to savor moments. But when we don't go the extra mile or fully embrace an effort we give up way too much. I mentioned a podcast I started to listen to in a previous entry entitled No Excuses Weight Loss by Jonathan Roche. He's a big believer in what he terms "creative movement". To seek out ways that deliberately add extra movement naturally to your day. For example when brushing your teeth you can march in place or a big idea that he promotes (one we've all heard) is to park in the furthest parking spot. Another idea he's mentioned is to not carry one load of laundry out of the laundry room but three trips, six trips, up to an individual trip for every single article of clothing you wash. Did these ideas make you giggle? Did they make you roll your eyes? At first, the ideas made me laugh. But then I took advantage of the suggestion. This is my HealthFULL Journey and I am looking to open myself up to new experiences. I start my job pretty early every day though shocker I do tend to run a couple minutes late. So early that I tend to be no more than the tenth person at the building. I have a guaranteed opportunity for one of the closest parking spots. And this last week I have passed up those easy accessible spots and park eight rows back. I probably add 250 extra steps one way. Which means I add an extra 500 steps daily. Somewhere I have both heard and read that to stay healthy we should each walk 10,000 steps a day (roughly two miles). So just by walking the parking lot I complete five percent of that goal. By tacking on an extra 2 - 3 minutes I am adding real benefits to my health. I also have tried the marching in place while brushing my teeth. This movement hasn't became as natural to my routine but it's getting there. I take extra trips when moving items from room to room. And though physically this extra movement is great and simple, the real benefit is the mental aspect. When marching in place while brushing my teeth, I remember to start out my day by having fun and to remember to laugh at myself. Because yes it is awkward to watch myself in the mirror marching to the invisible drummer while trying to remain coordinated enough to complete the real task of brushing my teeth. I sometimes am a clumsy girl. But this helps me to remind self that I may be a clumsy girl who can still make herself laugh. I also have added little exercises outside when walking Belle. She enjoys her "sniffs" and I am less impatient with her. The extra trips aren't that time consuming because I save time not trying to figure out how to do everything in one swoop. It is a great reminder that little by little any task can get completed. Also, less likely to drop something. This is all about the early question do we cut corners? Sometimes, when we are in a hurry we rush a project we don't double check that the T's get crossed. This is when mistakes occur. By taking the extra time or in this case the extra trip. Everything is covered and completed well. But the parking lot that's my favorite mental boost. It helps keep things new. I feel the extra steps I'm taking. It is like every step is reconfirmation that yes I really am embracing my HealthFULL Journey. By Fully Understanding Life by Living. I don't park in the same places so I see new sights. I have to confess the first day I totally forgot at work that I parked eight rows back. So I got extra steps in my day by walking to both parking spots and that big sigh of relief. I get the chance to see kids totter away from the parents in anticipation of shopping. I watched an older couple walk out to their car laughing and playing around. I've caught snippets of songs that I haven't heard in ages as the windows are rolled down by those waiting. So now I look forward to playing the game which spot is the furthest from the door. I encourage you for both your mental and physical health to see where you can take an extra step in your HealthFULL Journey. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment