Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mappin' It Out!

Have you ever created a timeline for yourself? Once upon a time I was a confirmation mentor and we were asked to create a faith timeline. You can get as detailed as you want. We were given the advice to note key moments in our lives and then incorporate moments of faith. I am not quite finished with my new timeline as I want to include a lot of information and I also want to let my memories have a chance to surface. It is interesting to look at a couple pieces of paper and really see the patterns in our own life. My timeline consists of one piece of paper for every five years except from 1980 - 1990 on one sheet of paper as my memory is low for the first 10 years. I wrote my timeline in the middle of the paper. At the bottom of the paper I wrote where I was living and at top I wrote specific weights I could remember. On the timeline so far I have included the "big" events that many of us typically experience and would include: (deaths, marriages, births, graduations, moves). What I am waiting to finish is the small moments that were just personal to me. We all have had a book, a movie, a drive, a random meeting that changes our outlook forever. I am letting those memories come forward. So far seeing the timeline progress is interesting. There are memories that I wouldn't mind staying hidden and some have been fun to remember. Just seeing events on paper is eye-opening and very healing. Which is why I started the mapping of my past. If I truly want to embrace the healthier lifestyle and make my future a truly HealthFULL Journey I felt I had to remember the past. I wanted to see where certain choices became part of my daily routine. Perhaps by seeing the past I can truly understand why certain rituals are so strong and were used to serve a purpose that I no longer can grasp. I highly suggest you map out your past. It's a great tool to reintroduce you to . . . yourself. May you move forward in your HealthFULL Journey with your head held high and appreciate your past that got you to the now. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment