Saturday, October 17, 2009

For you a Fuyu

A what? A fuyu persimmon, which we chose as our trial fruit of the week. We tried it out as a snack and ate it in its raw form. A fuyu persimmon is not the typical astringent persimmon. A fuyu is known as non-astringent. An astringent persimmon should not be consumed until ripened which it can do under room-temperature. The persimmon can become a gorgeous bright orange color. Think the brightness of oranges mixed with the deep, rich tone of pumpkins. This fruit pares well with the whole autumn palette. That intense of an orange was the color I saw of the persimmons when I was choosing between the average persimmon and the fuyu persimmon. The color difference was that the fuyu was much lighter in color and kind of a cute squatty shape. The fuyus I picked out resembled tomatoes. The flesh starts off a little softer than the persimmon that is shaped like a skinny acorn or resembled Roma tomatoes. The flavor is quite intense and unique. If you do not like sweet flavors I would warn you to either stay away or take small nibbles. I have quite a sweet tooth and even I found the "sweet" factor overwhelming. The flavor starts out very mild. The fuyu persimmon we chose reminded me of a nectarine just starting to ripen, both in texture and flavor. After reading some tidbits; the articles suggested when consuming the persimmon raw that many people avoid the peel. So we cut into the persimmon and ate the wedges like a cantaloupe, chewing the fruit and leaving the peel alone. The core of the persimmon was edible, but not flavorful. As you bite deeper into the fruit, the taste intensifies in sweetness. The aftertaste finished like a sweet melon, refreshing with a sweet twist. Now this might be my imagination, but the more I ate the more I could pick out a cinnamon flavor. This could very well be a power of suggestion as I think a persimmon sounds closely like cinnamon and I naturally link the two together. As I said in the beginning, this was an interesting taste. It has some unique flair. It would be interesting to match this fruit with a bitter green as in a salad combination. Or to cook down into a baked goodie with some drier grains. If you like sweet then definitely find your way to a persimmon. May your HealthFULL Journey bring sweetness Fu-yu :) 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment