Thursday, September 3, 2009

114 Days!!!

(Trumpet Fanfare) Drumroll please..... pah-rump pah-rump pah-rump The gym strike is officially over! I entered the gym last night (September 2nd, 2009) with resolve to actually work out. I hung out by the door to let the athletic gentleman slide his little keychain pass through first because I had an embarassing question to ask the gym employee. Me: ummmm, does it tell you on your screen there the last time I've uh been here (the gym). Her in her cute little figure and super - friendly smily manner: "Sometimes" she chipperly replied. And quickly she scans my little way underused member pass. She reads off the screen " 114 days since your last visit" and she nicely hands me back my pass with a tilt of her head. You know, the look you give a kid who just can't score a touchdown regardless of hours upon hours of practice or the look you might give a three-legged puppy. The look that says "Awkward" in the friendliest way possible. I of course countered with a chuckle and a nod "Yup, just needed that for motivation." But that was kind of what I needed all day...all week actually. I started this HealthFULL Journey so gung - ho, so excited for the "new day". I felt strengthened by my determination and encouraged by those I hold dear. I even questioned why I didn't get healthy earlier because everything was going so well and smooth. Corey and I were planning meals, getting out regularly to walk our adorable persistent puppy, and feeling good! But then old habits started to creep slowly back into my routine. The water consumption started to wane, sleep seemed less of a priority, cravings for sweets piled upon me, and just a little rain discouraged our faithful puppy walks. One day slipped into another as each habit slid back into my life. And honestly I welcomed their " easy comforts" that have a way of morphing into lists and lists of excuses: " We can't walk it's raining" " a sweet treat won't kill me" "I can blog tomorrow it's the beginning of the week" "I've had a rough day I deserve a treat" - seriously, I deserve a treat? First off, it is never "a" treat. Because if I deserved the first, I also feel entitled to the fifth and the twenty-eighth and so on. The treat I do deserve (and everyone deserves) is to feel healthy, energized, and strong. Which I need to remember daily and hold close to my heart because when ease and comfort whispers in the ear it is way too tempting! So I figured if one bump in the road could cause a slide down the unhealthy path, maybe one good bump or several could push me back into my Healthfull Journey groove. Which is why I promised myself I would go to the gym. It took half a week of planning but I got there! I picked the day I could leave work and go straight to the gym. I packed myself a gym bag and threw it in the car. This two minute action is what got me to the gym. Because in the morning I can accomplish anything, I make plans what I can do that night, how much cleaning I am going to get done, what meal I could cook. In the morning I have the best intentions in the world and if I completed half of the ideas I envision, I'd be a shoe-in for sainthood or at least a contender for the Nobel Peace Prize. Because in the morning I am on fire! Then afternoon sets in and my body way too tired and by the end of the work day. I feel it is an accomplishment just to drive myself home. So when the end of the workday rolled around I will admit to throwing a little tantrum in my car. My head filled with the whining, "I don't want to go to the gym" "It's too far" "It's too late!" "I'm tired!" "I can go tomorrow!" And then I reminded myself I packed my bag. I promised myself and what am I really going to gain by getting home an hour earlier than planned? Extra tv time? With a huge side of guilt? Way easier to go to the gym and I started to focus on baby steps. Take a turn here, cross this road, look for this sign, and even thought if I stay only five minutes it is better than nothing. So then I faced-off with the friendly employee and heard that it had been almost four months since I had STEPPED into a gym. That's a lot of monthly payments doing no good. But the strike is over and I lived to share the tale. I was so energized after my little work-out that when I got home I still took my puppy for a quick walk after paying some bills. So maybe, just maybe, I found my stride back into a HealthFULL Journey! Meet ya back here tomorrow to discuss " Why we need to Squash our Fears about Squash! "

No comments:

Post a Comment