Saturday, September 19, 2009

Naturally Purple

I am a big fan of the purple:) Our household cheers on LSU and we wear our purple proud. I appreciate the association with royalty. And I just think it's pretty. So what new fruit or vegetable should I try this week that combines with my love for purple? Think about it? Did you guess eggplant? Nope (though I am a big of the typical eggplant :) We tried purple sweet potato. Oh that's right, not the typically confused is it a yam or orange sweet potato, but a PURPLE sweet potato. And let me just tell you the look alone is pretty fancy. Or you might think mega food coloring. However, knowing that it was meant to be this deep rich color of violet. GORGEOUS. If you need an impressive dish that could incorporate sweet potato, GO PURPLE!!! Taste-wise I couldn't really notice a difference. There is a mid-taste that registers on your palate a tinge differently. We fixed them like a typical baked sweet potato. Throw it in the oven wrapped in tin foil. Then top it with a tish of butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar. YUM! I did leave more peel than I usually do. It had a bit of a sourness to the skin. I don't know if that was more the type of sweet potato or more of a result due to age. Now texture-wise big difference. Normally I would describe the well - known sweet potato , once cooked to have almost a melting, almost creamy texture. I would say that the purple had almost a paste-like thickness. Think oatmeal. If you like a heartier soft texture I would go this route. Baking it was great. I don't know if I would go the mashed route with this pastier texture. Though I think it could be a great addition to hash, something needing cubed, or just baking some sweet potato chips. Definitely worth a try! So if you are looking for a pretty, mouth-dropping, original addition to party fare Think Purple sweet potato! May your healthfull journey include surprising twists and new - found delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment