Saturday, September 12, 2009

Phasing out the Bad by Welcoming the Good :)

Have you ever suffered from a bad headache?
How about a week - long headache?
Or a headache where the growing gnawing nauseousness
or where light is painful
or noise beyound obnoxious
or just that fuzzy cloudy feeling?
Any of this sound familiar?
If it does, don't feel alone!!!
I too, can relate to the variety pack of headaches.
I really can't remember my life without headaches playing a part, I usually say I remember them starting when I was seven years old. Not that I know for sure that's when they started. I just remember having a headache that young. I would say it was pretty common to have a headache of some sort at least once a week until I was sixteen. It was at age sixteen that I received a concussion and for many years suffered the gambit of headaches on a pretty steady daily basis. I saw countless doctors about what I could do and ran many, many tests (including a new cat scan). I tried a variety of "cure-alls" from giving up caffeine to increasing caffeine to peppermint oil, keeping hydrated, several different vitamins, etc. Many factors acted as "stressors" and I tried to eliminate them as I went about my routine. I just made sure to keep my friendly tylenol or advil, handy. When we moved out of North Dakota to South Carolina my headaches diminished quite a bit. Though I think the move and change in weather and atmosphere played a part, there were other factors probably contributing to the success of less headaches. Most of the credit goes to the fact that I pretty much had given myself the okay to take 600 mg of advil daily. I would take it in the morning and go headache-free for 85% of the time. I felt this was a preventative action. I never exceeded my daily limit and was always upfront with anyone taking my medical history that I did this on a daily basis. Well from my last post you would know that I have started reading the labels of what I consume. Recently, I informed my husband that I am not suppose to be taking these OTC (Over the counter as it has switched to generic ibuprofen) medications on an ongoing long-term basis. I know this is going to sound ditzy, but I was shocked! I don't even like taking medicine and I realized how long I had been taking this on a daily basis. If I truly wanted to participate in my HealthFULL Journey I felt this was a big step to take. I had to let go of my head-ache free blanket and see what would happen. So I slowly phased out the pills. I was taking three 200 mg pills daily. So each week I dropped a pill from the routine. And I am proud to say that it has been a week without my morning safety net and for the most part have been head-ache free. Though I have tried several cure-alls in the past I think I am remaing head-ache free because of the joint effects of incorporating a healthier lifestyle. Where maybe in the past one cure-all didn't solve all the headache triggers. By combining extra sleep, tons more water, cutting way down on soda, adding excercise and trying to push out junk food and adding in the healthy nutritious food it is possibly fighting off the headaches for good. I of course don't know which combination is directly responsible but I am enjoying the benefits. I think a HealthFull Journey is all about Phasing out the Bad by Welcoming the Good :) May you find out how to Fully Understand Life by Living while welcoming in the good habits and phasing out the bad. Good luck on your HealthFULL Journey!!! See ya next week. . .

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the committment to a healthier lifestyle! And you have a wonderful writing style as well, Suzie!
    Angela Cheney

    ReplyDelete