Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sleep means more than ZZZZZZZZ's

I am not the best sleeper.  This is sad to admit but I used to have pride in the fact that I function easily on five hours of sleep.  I convinced myself that it is better for me to sleep an odd amount of hours than a heap of even number of hours.  Bizarre but true.  I used to be able to function on three hours sleep three - four nights a week.  I'm not necessarily the best person I can be (little cranky, little emotional, little paranoid) but for the most part functionable.  Five hours used to be my dream amount of sleep.  (Get it? Dream! :) I was me.  Because that was my average.  Seven was luxury and nine was unbelievable.  If I did three hours three - four in a row I could do a marathon sleep of eleven hours.  In my quest to get healthy in WHOLE kind of way I have read some articles, books, etc. And a lot mention that heavier people tend to carry more weight.  You would think if we are staying up so late we would be burning more calories.  But not the case.  Us fully awake around the clock people tend to eat more and exercise less. Why?  Because we aren't sleeping because we aren't exhausting our systems physically and yet are losing control of our emotions tricking our appetites.  I have read the acronym "HALT" in several books so I am sorry if I am not giving proper credit to who originated this idea.  HALT means to evaluate before you commence eating.  Are you Hurt? Angry? Lonely? or Tired?  and for that reason are grabbing a snack?  If you're hungry go ahead.  Your body is telling you it has burned the calories and is ready to re-fuel.  But usually it is because of the other reasons listed.  When someone is tired they tend to graze without thinking.  Your appetite is ramped and your emotions wild and your control is exhausted due to lack of sleep.  It's amazing how a little rest can up your energy. 

My hubby took morning duty today with our son.  And though I awoke briefly to share a kiss with my two favorite guys I quickly returned to bed because I could.  Wow I had a fire lit ready to do some work.  For my work out I was tempted by my salsa DVD but will attempt that tomorrow.  Today I have been hounded by our two bathrooms needing a good cleaning.  So out I pulled my cleaning supplies and grabbed my son (not altogether).  I used different set -ups so he could watch me work.  The first bathroom was fun because he had a new perspective sitting in the hallway which he has never just sat there. Not much to see but to him it was a whole new destination.  Isn't it funny how we let our task list grow because of laziness, boredom, detestation, and really the project just doesn't take that long.  20 minutes and one bathroom down.  The other still needs the shower clean but otherwise the master bath is done.  It was getting late and my son was getting hungry (or bored or both ) :)  Also got some other projects done and even had dinner ready for hubby when he walked in the door.  Isn't that the nicest feeling in the world?  If you live with someone else and walk in the door after a long day or work, errands, social obligation, and you walk into aromas of supper ready to go.  Heavenly! in my opinion, one last hassle, feeling loved, and time to let go! 

And what is awesome I still have energy to go.  Because of this I had more stable moods and could be there if needed.  When we are too tired we can't take care of ourselves and that also means we certainly can't help those we love.

May your journey help you to Fully or Finally Understand Life by Living which means take time to rest, so that you can recharge and get back out there fully you at your best.  'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment