Sunday, July 3, 2011

Nice long warm up

I was rested and my baby was still resting which means perfect time for a work-out.  I had picked up two DVDs to try new movement from the library.  With a little apprehension and a little giddiness I popped in Mr. Kung Fu. Oh don't worry that's not the name of the DVD.  It was a beginner's DVD for Tai Chi and the narrator/host was David Carradine.  It was fantastic.  There are two parts and I did the thirty minute work out for the mind.  The experience was like completing a thirty minute warm-up/cool-down.  No I didn't burn billions of calories.  But I moved, didn't fret, didn't get frustrated, and let go.  It was nice to not have to give myself a pep talk that I'll be able to catch my breath in less than a minute or stare at the DVD counter - only 12 minutes to go.  This work out was calming and encouraging because I didn't have to modify any of the instructions.  I just followed along.  It was a good DVD to ease back into a daily movement routine.  Also was a great reminder that I like to try new things and appreciate different ideas if I ever want to work out while watching television so I don't feel like such a bump on the log and something else to do besides munch on snacks.

Speaking of munching.  Our little one is starting to eat his veggies and fruits.  Today the plan was to start eating apples (he has tried quite a few of the veggies).  I grabbed the jar, my hubby had the camera and our son seemed confused by the taste.  He's only had veggies before today.  We kept saying how yummy the apples are.  I had tried a quick bite (they were awfully sweet which I thought accounted for the not quite apple flavor).  Our son grew into the taste and he cleaned out that jar.  I looked at the label and the ingredient list caught my eye.  Organic Pears? The food industry is just getting ridiculous using pears for a baby's introduction to apples.  Then I flipped the jar around.  Oh the food industry wasn't to blame for this jar of food.  No mommy grabbed the wrong jar.  So pears were the first fruit for our son.  But this "mommy fog" moment made me think a couple of different things.  My son is a genius to question that this food was not apples.  But also that I had convinced myself that the jar was apples and then even when I tasted the fruit and it tasted off.  I accepted the fact without investigating.  How often am I shoveling food in my mouth because I have told myself it is good or that I like it and really have stopped tasting the food.  Or even allowed myself the chance to let my food taste buds change.  There are a lot of things as a kid not a big fan and a lot of things as a kid as an adult not as yummy (or help the body feel good).  Wouldn't it be sad that my tastes hadn't changed in thirty years?  Don't we get stuck in patterns of all sorts because we used to like the item or hate them?  How many people still have the same favorite color as when they were six?  Is it still truthfully your favorite color or you just tell yourself it is?  How about your favorite food? Let's say your mom made the best spaghetti or lasagna or barbeque chicken or meatloaf (etc. you get the point!), is it still your favorite meal?  Sure they make it when you go home and you enjoy it because it brings back great memories.  But maybe you found your own meatloaf recipe and now that's your favorite but you let your parents think theirs is still number one.  I am not saying that is right or wrong.  But don't we hinder our growth and stand in our own way to keep things simple, non-offensive, time-saving, etc.? That's why we sometimes find ourselves in ruts.  We travel the same path over and over for whatever reason and forget that there are choices involved.  You don't have to drink out of the green coffee cup because you do every morning.  You don't have to stop every Thursday at the local burger joint because you started going there when you got your job.  You don't have to do laundry every Sunday because that was laundry day in your house since you were six.  Again if you love any of these routines then they are not ruts.  You are still choosing these activities because they bring stability, smiles, comfort to your life.  But if you are frustrated with these monotonous actions then choose to change it up.  Treat yourself to a new coffee cup, try a new restaurant on Thursday, or find out if Friday morning laundry lets you feel like you have extra time in your week.  The simplest change can alter your life and remind you that you are still breathing and that choices are a good thing.  They remind us we have freedom, control of our own destiny, and individual preferences that make us unique.

May your HealthFULL Journey be full of wonder as you truly decide your routines, favorites, and free of "ruts". Don't forget to take time to warm up and truly embrace your potential.  'Til we meet again. . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment