Monday, July 11, 2011

Adaptability

When I was a kid I loved Encyclopedia Brown books.  The mystery that you solved by choosing your own path. I sometimes pride myself on being a problem solver or perhaps a better term would be a solution seeker.  What's the difference, a lot.  Let's say you lost twenty bucks I might not be able to help you find that specific 20 bucks (it's lost!).  However,  together we can realize do you want twenty dollars for something specific?  Or you liked the security of the twenty dollars?  Once we establish what was truly lost (a new book or security) we can develop a solution to help remedy the lost twenty fiasco. 

But in this journey I keep trying to force rules, I am trying to create a plan/a schedule for me because it is what books, experts, friends, tv, etc. says will help.  I am not that rigid of a person.  When studying in school I am a crammer and for those who want to lecture you can't write a good paper in two hours.  I hear you, I believe you, but certain systems worked for me and when I would try someone else's approach I got horrible results.  Structure is fantastic.  Many of us appreciate that our homes have strong foundations.  But who wants to live in a cement box?  We need structure but function better with softness and give. 

What does this mean?  I am not Brazilian nor do I have a Brazilian body that moves to a Brazilian rhythm.  I tried to dance to my DVD.  And on one hand it was a disaster on another I had a good laugh.  Oh I got frustrated because I do not enjoy not being able to do something (especially on the first try - silly I know but just being honest).  I would see what the instructor was doing and would try to copy but not so lucky.  My legs would instinctively do a different action than what was instructed.  She would kick forward my legs would tuck back, they would say move to the left I would halfway be to the right.  Then I would try to correct my movement only to miss both opportunities.  I muddled through 17 1/2 minutes and just realized I didn't have the heart to move unto the second dance.  No I don't have to dance perfectly the sequence.  Which I am trying to teach myself, any movement is improvement over no movement.  When they can-can and plie and shimmy - If I just rotate from my waist I am doing something.  So that is a lesson I am working on but decided I would rather finish my thirty minutes on the comfort of My Wii Fit.  Where the Wii Fit and I both agreed I'm thirty.  I don't know if I should be happy that we agreed or disappointed that it didn't feel I was younger.  (I did just come from my Brazilian dance lesson - my weariness might have shown :)  I muddled through a step routine where the machine informed me that I step unevenly.  Great I have no rhythm and I am uncoordinated - got that from the DVD in my own thoughts but now a machine agrees. Excellent, thanks for the confirmation!  But I did the best I had done on the obstacle course and then got out my frustration with some snow balls (true this workout has me sway on the board and point the controller to the screen and I push a button but I appreciate the visual imagery.)

 Though I mock my attempt today the lesson was comforting.  I don't have to limit myself to the DVD.  I don't like a movement I can walk away and still exercise to something else.  The choices are mine for my HealthFULL Journey.  An unsuccessful attempt is not a failure, it is just an unsuccessful attempt that will lead to fruitful rewards down the line.  The challenge will motivate me or push me to find something more worth my time. 

May your HealthFULL Journey be adaptable to your needs and goals.  Take a moment to figure out your true goal and find the situation that best fulfills your solution.  'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment