Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Simply taking a Stand

If consistency is key I keep misplacing it.  I didn't get a lot of sleep last night but decided this morning I had to do something for thirty minutes.  And I could have waited until later tonight but that line of reasoning tends to dawdle throughout the day as the hours dwindle down.  I certainly wasn't up for some Brazilian beats, nor the concentration of Tai Chi so I pulled out my trusty Wii Fit.  For the most part I played the balancing games after a couple of yoga poses.  I realize I wasn't burning a gazillion calories but it was something.  For the most part I was standing with a little leaning.  But I was using my mind to focus on movement vs. food.  We've all heard that expression "If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything."  Oh and temptation knows how to make you fall.  Whether it is food (hello dessert *bats eyelashes*), smoking, gambling, the eye of another.  We say it hits us when we're weak.  Here's the truth it is always clamoring for our attention.  It is when we are tired and weary we invite them back into our lives.  We seek their comfort and want to believe the promises of how things have changed and we can make this relationship work.  But you can't.  Addiction can never be your faithful partner because the relationship is all too consuming and jealous.  Addiction forces you to push away family, friends, activities, and adventure.  It grips you and whispers your dirty secrets.  It knows blackmail better than any political ninja and the biggest secret it knows is that you secretly want to chuck your progress and crawl back into a black hole with your addiction and block out all responsibilities.  It was maybe two seasons ago on "So You Think You Can Dance" that they based a contemporary piece on Addiction.  It was beautiful and haunting.  What a visual of something so many people experience.  Each journey is unique but we shouldn't feel alone as we all have hang-ups.  So when your addiction is pulling you into their arms with sweet whispers of lies, stand up.  Perhaps it is the tv that hypnotizes you into a vegetable and you couldn't possibly pick up a dish.  Get out of the comfy chair and you would be amazed how one action can lead to healthier choices.  If you love to gobble food on your couch all curled up with your DVR.  Food no longer allowed in that one spot of the house.  You aren't really handcuffing yourself but you are taking a stand and changing the rules.  One action will change the relationship of addiction.  If you can't drive by your favorite bakery without getting a doughnut.  New route to work.  Oh what a pain.  But when you figure the trigger that weakens your resolve you can choose to stand up to your bully and show both your addiction and yourself that you are strong enough to take a stand.  So I took a stand against laziness and the snacking monster and stepped onto my Wii Fit.  I burned less than 200 calories but saved myself from consuming an extra 700.  That's a Win - Win in so many ways.  Oh there will be days the whispers will be a little louder and me a little more willing but each stand pushes the bully a little bit farther away.  I'll take an inch to avoid the pinch.

May your journey teach you strength and to not fall for false promises or sweet lies.  'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment