Friday, March 2, 2012

Living means to be Aware.

This post was originally to be titled "Minty Fresh" and that the herb Mint was our new produce of the week.  I thought about sharing how we used it with lamb.  Considered doing light research on the computer about the benefits of adding fresh herbs to meals.  But then life happened and I realized Mint was no longer on my thoughts but the importance of being aware seemed to be smacking me in the face.

Currently our house is in upheaval.  My wonderful hubby is off on a retreat which I will be taking one myself soon.  This leaves us separated for a couple of days at a time.  We tend to be those couples that do a lot together.  So this is a little surreal.  We split parenting duties - a lot!!!! In the last day I have found myself communicating with his ghost.  Alright you pour the milk and I'll grab the boy and change his diaper.  And how rude, I return and no one has poured the milk!  When I need to tag-team out of responsibility for just a three minute sit down.  There is no partner to tag and our delightful toddling son only sees my weakness as his advantage.  Isn't it funny how much more we aware of a person or an object when they go missing? 

I also wanted to write from this present mind as I am doing okay healthfull journey wise today.  I am not being super fit and super healthy but I also am not doing horrible and moping on the couch  (maybe a small part of myself would love to be a couch potato :)  I  ate not the best choices today.  But I did walk over 12000+ steps today.  I had two slow days this week around 5000 steps.  The rest right at 7000 steps.  But I made myself  AWARE of how many steps I took today as the day progressed.  For most of the day I made myself get up and walk around or jog at least 1000 steps each hour.  This helped keep me moving, but not to an impossible standard.  That is less than fifteen minutes every hour of just moving.  It didn't have to be working out and sweating (though there were spurts as I looked at the clock and saw I had less than ten minutes to add 700 steps :) . 

I got some cleaning done today which helps me feel energetic.  When we bog ourselves down with a guilt - laden to - do list it drags us down and drains our energy. At least I am AWARE of this phenomenon for myself.  By clearing items off the list for the weekend I feel more available to my son, to myself (tell me I am not alone on withholding pleasures because chores are unfinished - a quiet hour of reading, an indulgent bathtub, a decadent dessert?) and to life.  I feel stronger, more energetic, more sane, organized, accomplished which leads to confident, and frees up my spirit to be playful.  Crazy how items that take as little as ten minutes steal moments, hours, days from my life because I procrastinate, whine, and sometimes just plain ignore the situation. 

Another  moment of AWAREness is how awesome that a regular everyday kind of day can be life - altering.  Sometimes, this is not an awesome realization, but can be that kind of moment where your heart pounds in anticipation, how your mind begins to overwork the gears at the infinite possibilities, and how just for a moment you are lost in the surprise.  Because sometimes if you are willing and AWARE life decides to sparkle in the simplest of pleasures - child goes to sleep, an old friend drops you a note, a book has an inspiring quote, or you just stop; breathe in, breathe out - and realize you are beyond blessed.

May your HealthFULL Journey help you gain awareness of your surroundings and the blessings that already glimmer in your life.  'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment