Monday, March 26, 2012

Momentous Momentum Take Two

Have you ever built a snowman?  I grew up in northern Minnesota so I have made a few in my time (and snow forts - I love snow forts:).  But the trick to  a good snow man - it takes a bit of time to get started.  To build the base of the snowman takes patience and time.  You have to pack the snow a little bit at a time and keep adding to it.  Once you get a ball started -just under the size of a bowling ball you can start rolling it around on the ground and it quickly builds itself.  Two things begin to happen - one the ball kind of controls the direction it will and can move.  Two - once you truly get rolling you will probably need an extra or a few extra hands to keep the momentum. 

I bring the art of making a snow man because it has taken many attempts and a long time to feel in control of my health.  It feels awesome right now in my life to feel as my life is bringing me to healthier choices and quickly adding them to my lifestyle.  When I wrote this blog yesterday I said it felt like we had time and energy to spare.  As my son napped I finished my blog entry, then called up my mom to meet for a later lunch.  Before lunch I did a couple of quick chores (a load and half of laundry) and walked my son and my dog.  This alone is an impossible feat that has scared me off several times.  I am sure I have mentioned that my dog - LOVES walks.  Well I can't take her and leave my son at home - neighbors and the police would definitely frown about that choice.  And to walk just my son seems horribly cruel to my dog - who loves to go for walks.  We go for walks as a family.  Never have I attempted the dog (who just gets too excited) and my son in his stroller.  But on Saturday my snow ball was on the upswing and gaining energy/momentum quickly!  So I did the impossible I took them both for a walk.  My dog eyed my every move as I unfolded the stroller and locked up Drew's harness.  Belle (my dog) hung her head and stepped back as I put on my tennis shoes.  But went crazy with excitement as I tied a plastic bag around my wrist in case she had some doggy business to handle on the walk.  She jumped, she ran, she sang her delight as only a dog can do.  If she could have clapped - I am positive she would have , but we'll have to settle for the wagging tail.  In one hand I let her out our front door as she darted for the street to start her sniffing duties for the best smells of our neighborhood.  Which left me straddling my entry way as I pulled my son with my left hand.  As she continues her puppy dance of delight and I try to maneuver Drew's stroller with only one hand over the door bump and the front stoop step - I begin to mutter.  I think to myself I am ready already to turn right back around and call this a failed attempt.  But I just couldn't break my dog's heart.  So I worked it out and we began our walk.  Ten steps into the walk I am thinking - this is such a breeze.  Step fifteen I can't imagine why I haven't done this sooner.  Step seventeen I realized why I had never thought this activity as a good option.  My dog oblivious to my needs and her limitations walked around a bush.  I tried the old arm trick of stretching as far as possible to pull the leash away from the bush around and up and over the obstacle.  Nope - Belle had tightened her leash grip making it impossible to pull the leash away from the bush.  I then call her over to us and trying to coax her to follow her leash BACK AROUND the bush.  She did not oblige.  Not that she didn't want to please me but did not understand how to do so.  I called her name she came right to me completing the circle around the bush.  Finally, I pulled Drew unto the lawn and followed her around the stupid bush.  But this little incident helped awaken my senses and I was able to divert her away from wrapping herself into any more trappings.  We finished our walk and continued our fun for meeting my mom for lunch.  Upon my hubby's return from work I suggested another family walk. (My dog must have believed that she was one step closer to heaven as she never gets TWO walks in a day.  By completing two walks and trying to keep busy it was a lot easier to step up my game into 12,000 + steps once again.. It had been a long time coming.

But that really is the moral of the story.  By placing plans into your schedule it encourages only more fun, energy, and opportunities into your life.  But your Health FULL Journey sets its own pace.  As you gather momentum and speed take time out to be appreciative because you never know which path will lead you and where. 

May your HealthFULL Journey be full of teamwork end energy to spare. "til We meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment