Friday, October 28, 2011

Hit that Snooze one more time

Oh you've done it.  Admit it.  You hit the snooze button.  More than once, almost every day.  Lately we don't use the alarm clock.  Oh we set it every night pretending that is the time we get to sleep.  However, our alarm is a cute 2 1/2 ft almost one year old with might fine lungs.  And he is enjoying learning how to use his "voice".  Each morning we are awakened to a "new" sound.  Sometimes giggles, cries, screams, babble, and pitches from murmuring to squealing.  But this alarm comes with no snooze.  He runs on his own energy source and only when he deems it is snooze time will the alarm be quieted.  But this morning I had to work early so I awoke to the alarm. . . at 5:30 am.  I have been faithfully working out in the morning to feel energetic and trying to lower the blood sugar ASAP.  With life these days if I leave the work out until later; later NEVER happens. 

But this morning was a SNOOzzzzze morning.  Where thirty minutes would make a world of difference.  I even argued in my head as I returned to bed across the room.  If I want work outs to be a priority then here is my chance.  To choose exercise over sleep, to choose health right now vs.  I'll get to it.  And then I crawled into my covers and nestled my pillow.  And thirty minutes later I hit the snooze one more time for a five minute refresher.  Then I forced myself out of bed scolding myself I am going to regret missing that uninterrupted time for exercise.  Finally I bartered with myself and scheduled myself to walk at least a half hour at work (even arguing with myself I couldn't help but snicker "Yeah right!")

Hold on though - I didn't walk thirty minutes today at work I walked forty-five.  That's right I was able to squeeze in 5000 steps right around my office.  Did I want to?  Not every step of the way.  Am I glad that I did it?  Resounding yes!  Because once I left work it became a whirlwind of little events that become easy distractions.

Health has became a major priority.  No excercising isn't always my number one on the list.  But it is  high and is a must do on the list.  Not the list ; when I have time, later, soon,  whatever, who cares.  Because excercise has been on all of those lists.  Now movement hits the list with a planned agenda - when, where, and for how long.  I snuck my tennis shoes on my feet as a way of telling myself.  You're doing this and there is no excuse.  You've got your shoes, you've got the time, and you could use the boost (sunshine, fresh air, endorphin rush, you name it - I needed it :) 

I feel good.  It's amazing how accomplished I feel because I crossed an important to do off my list.  Yeah it is frustrating that it will be right back on top of the list tomorrow. But for today it was crossed off.  Just have to keep reminding myself - this is not a healthFULL race but a HealthFULL journey.

May your HealthFULL Journey find successful and satisfying ways to accomplish your priorities. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment