Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Let's Get Physical

Bopping around to a true eighties classic.  Can you hear that expression and not think of the song?  No It is impossible. 

So, I did it.  I bit the bullet, swallowed my pride, and actually followed up with a doctor.  And had *cue horror music*  a physical.  I believe it has been close to two decades since I have had one.  And since then I have became an anxious patient with not so good memories of doctor visits.

There was a little slapstick comedy as I tried to arrange this appointment.  I called Monday (as my ER visit was last Friday).  I had several criteria I used to narrow my search as I looked for my own doctor.  I sadly have never had a personal doctor(besides my team for the baby) I never a doctor just for me, Suzy and surely as mom to be Suzy I had zillions it felt like but never a referring physician since I was eighteen.  And I am thirty-one.  Oh I have piggy-backed off of family and friend choices and recommendations but nothing "committed".  Here was my narrowing down (the ER had recommended a branch but that was because they were on-call the night I stopped by the ER so I decided to take matters into my own hands.)  I wanted someone who carried my insurance (I know I am thinking so adult like trying to save thousands of dollars), next I chose proximity (Location! Location! Location!), and finally I wanted and you can call this profiling or prejudice but I decided I wanted a woman to share this journey.  I am a mom, we are going to be discussing weight extensively and I have a lot of factors that tie back to pregnancy,  I want that womanly connection.  It brought me down to one choice.  Excellent - I then pick up the phone to call and got nervous. How do I approach this?  What do I say?  Do I act non chalant or matter of fact - lets get down to business approach?  It really did feel like I was calling to set up a date.  And the response to my call did not ease my anxiety:
Me: Hi! My name is Suzy and I went to the E.R. last Friday and they recommended that I follow up with my physician but I don't have one and I would like to make Dr. X my doctor.  (in one breath)

Response:  Let me understand.  You want to become a new patient for Dr. X?

Me: Yes! Yes I would.

Response:  Okay I will just need to get some information to share with Dr. X and see if she would like to take you on as a new patient.

Me: Okay (but in my head thinking, really?  Like what kind of information - is this like a dating profile and if you don't like my answers you are booked up.  And what kind of patients does the doctor want?  Someone with a lot of ailments that they can write articles and be challenged by or someone who just needs to list a doctor and might be in once a year?)

Response: (asked the basics) and then the essay question portion : for what do you want to see the doctor?

Me: Diabetes

Response:  Any other medical problems?

Me: I am morbidly obese.  (wow did I just say that?  Its true and when I show up in the office if my rose is accepted - I know! I know! Too much reality tv - they'll see for themselves.  But I don't know if I have ever been that honest out loud with another person.  )

Response:  Okay well that should cover everything and someone will let you know soon if you have been accepted and if accepted to schedule your new patient physical.  (Feeling awesome - let my walls down and now I just wait for acceptance or rejection and if accepted my prize is a physical - GO ME!).

Well Tuesday arrives and I see I have a voicemail at 11:45 am.  The office called at 10:10 to schedule me this afternoon at 1:30.  WOW!  (My answers must have been stellar for such quick reply ;)  I arrange it with my boss to take off for the appointment call them back to accept their appointment.  And they had given away my spot.  So I was accepted, I then called to reconfirm my acceptance and then I was rejected but scheduled for a slot in mid-December.  Hmmm.  Okay - that is a lot to process.  Go back to my boss false alarm I'll just continue to do my work - heh heh.  Phone rings at 1:54 pm (I am not making this up) to come into the office for a 2:30pm appointment today.  Oh well that's great except I am at work and it is a 25 minute drive and I have to go back to my boss after my workload has tripled to request leaving within ten minutes of my request.  I am just on fire!!!  But in the back of my head I hear or take your December appointment.  My boss agrees and I try to tidy up my desk as quickly as possible and fly out the door.  I arrive to fill out 8 pages of paperwork - this office is thorough!  And onward through the physical.  It was confirmed that I am diabetic.  (Horrible A1C - but the next one will not only be better but awesome!) and they weren't loving my blood pressure (I think for the exchanges we had in 24 hours I was pretty even keel). 

Not a fan of doctors.  Certainly not a fan of medications.  but I have tried this on my own and it is time to make room in this HealthFULL Journey for those with medical degrees.  How can one succeed if one never tries?  I am gonna give it the old heave ho and we'll see.  This road has had some bumps, mountains, valleys, but not an experience I would have missed.  So I keep traveling, with an open heart, open ears, open eyes, open mind, and hopefully a little wisdom for those moments that require a decision.

May your HealthFULL Journey allow you new experiences, wisdom in all circumstances, and peace for all your choices. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment