Saturday, November 28, 2009

Bok to you!

When my blogs were on the sporadic weeks my hubby and I tried an interesting veggie that should not be overlooked. I have previously mentioned my taste for yummy Chinese cuisine. So we set out to fix ourselves a healthier version at home. We pulled out our trusty wok and threw in some bok choy. Oh yummy! How do I describe this intriguing vegetable? If I was limited to one word I would choose "rich". The flavor is very mild which matches well with its light color. Be on the look-out for this vegetable next time you are out shopping for produce, especially if you are a fan of celery or cabbage. I am not a big fan of celery and appreciate that in some instances that bok choy could easily stand as a replacement. Bok Choy is the chubby celery except it is actually part of the cabbage family. Bok Choy is tall like celery. Its base is a silky white bulb and then the white stalks stand thick and tall. Gorgeous green leaves cover the stalks. The leaves are a deep rich green tone offset by the silky white stalks. Simply divine darlin'. Simply Divine! The richness factor does not simply stop at the appearance. The flavor is delightfully mild. It blends into the meal as subtle as a broth. The subtle flavor allows it to blend really well with almost any other ingredient, especially spices. The stalk and the leaves are completely edible. You can choose to eat it raw or cooked in a variety of ways. We created a bok choy stir fry. Its texture upheld really well in the heat. Depending on the method of cooking will greatly determine the texture of this vegetable. In most instances the stalk will remain firm with a meaty texture. The leaves also have a strength that can handle the heat. The texture almost melts into your bites which adds to the richness of bok choy. Each bite includes a reminder of the comforts of home. I build up this vegetable because I was pleasantly surprised. I was under the impression that the vegetable would lack any sweetness and for some reason I thought it was going to be just bitter. And bitter it was not. Some of the nutritional facts I could find about bok choy were quick to mention that it is very low calorie. It is also a great source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C according to www.essortment.com. Also Bok Choy is a high source of calcium. So I encourage you to continue to stretch your meals with nutrition and new flavors. I highly recommend this versatile vegetable that will could add richness to any menu. I continue to travel on this scenic route of my HealthFULL Journey with my eyes wide open and have experienced a ride I could never imagine. 'Til we meet again. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment