Saturday, November 14, 2009

Celebrating the Small Victories

And the crowd goes wild!!! Or at least a part of you shouts out in joy and hears your inner cheerleader. We all do this, don't we? Well if you don't I give you permission to celebrate your own personal victories. If professional athletes can do a celebration dance, a business CEO can high-five and pets receive praise for just not being bad, then we can hoot and holler for ourselves. My small victory might not make sense to you or register on your scale of victories but for me was a giant leap. I have committed myself to taking my health journey in a stricter direction, (not crazy strict but with the hope of losing at least some "physical" weight). One of my goals or big efforts towards health is to limit one of my greatest vices. I feel I need to hang my head and maybe cover my heart in reverence. But I love me a good Chinese buffet. I know I know - buffet and HealthFULL Journey don't really walk hand in hand. But the sign to a good Chinese buffet is like a beacon in the night or a siren of the vast ocean. It calls to me. And though we have had a good selection before in our area we have an incredible one with tons of value. The buffet is HUGE and the price isn't bad. Less than seven dollars for a lunch buffet (since I am drinking water vs soda. ) Seven dollars for a super-filling, tasty lunch. GREAT!!! But that is my problem with this vice I lose my mind at a Chinese Buffet. It is all the yummy unhealthy foods on display with no effort to attain. It includes foods that are fried, layered in sauce, and sweetened. Ahhhhhhh, I am licking my lips. I know I know I know!!!! My plan is to not to visit one until next year (it helps make my commitment sound dramatic). But I hope to avoid eating at any Chinese buffet until after January 1st, 2010. This is kind of dramatic as we were frequenting one almost every two weeks and getting closer and closer to once a week. I am hoping that by avoiding them for two months; the cravings will die down. That I will have trained my palate and fullness scale to enjoy myself and not to lose control or sight of my BIGGER goals. The victory occurred Thursday night. We had ran some errands during the evening. We were very close to my favorite buffet, literally driving by its sign advertising their yumminess. We were hungry and definitely wanted a quick dinner with no fuss. The night that sets up a visit to the Chinese buffet. However, I had voiced my choice previously when I was in a rational mood. And knew I couldn't let myself down. So, as we drove by the temptation we stayed on course and visited a sub shop that we had never frequented previously. I told my husband that I was in the mood for a satisfying veggie wrap or a close alternative. What did they sale? A grilled veggie wrap which I found delicious. Now I think the deliciousness factor included the flavor of the tasty wrap (which I will be enjoying again in the future, most definitely). But I also think some of the deliciousness I enjoyed was the taste of a small victory. So, I encourage you on this HealthFULL Journey to fully enjoy your taste of success by celebrating those moments you choose to resist your personal temptation in lieu of the choice that betters you. No victory is too small to celebrate because every win is a win regardless of the margin. Celebrate you and your win when you choose to Fully Understand Life by Living on your HealthFULL Journey. I am cheering for you and myself 'til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment