Saturday, February 25, 2012

Revising, Revisiting, and Rebounding

Taking the HealthFULL approach means to Fully Understand Life by Living; which means a lot of trial and error.  Also it means a lot of revising, revisiting, and rebounding. In regular speech revising means constantly seeking out ways to improve my lifestyle, revisiting is attempting to deal with issues too tough to deal with the first (second or third) time around, and rebounding is acknowledging not every attempt is a success.  For instance I am learning how I approach an area of change depends a lot upon my mindset.   Boundaries are good. Goals are Great! But I find rules to be no fun:(  When I first tried a pedometer it did me no good.  I saw it as another critic - which was the last thing I needed at that time.  But now I see the pedometer as a coach/cheerleader.  Each step pushes me to challenge myself with another step and another.  When I cross different milestones I smile as the zeros are like cheerleaders cheering the victory chant.  So those numbers of steps I see as an ally and a positive reinforcement. 

My no munching "rule" after ten pm is an excellent theory.  But it drives me to grab as many snacks as I can at 9:30 pm.  Which defeats the purpose of theory completely.  At 9:30 pm I am not grabbing a snack because I am hungry.  No I am grabbing a snack because I am proving to myself that I have willpower and I MIGHT be hungry at eleven or midnight.  I somehow have to teach my brain to think of that late night snack as not a need for survival or a craving that will break me.  But I am struggling with how to teach myself to resist unless I am truly hungry.  Cravings are tricky.  They will tempt you anyway possible and tend to sit on your sensory drives.  It taunts you with flavor memories coating your tongue, or flashing images inside your mind to appeal to your visionary senses.  So I am struggling now with that late night snack.  How do I view this as a boundary but not a rule that I will want to break? 

It might be better to scrap the late night munchie rule.  I think I was eating less before the limitation was placed in my thoughts.  But now as the ten o clock hour looms I find myself jettiing off to the kitchen for that one small delicious bite which I enjoy another twenty times over.  However, as in any good journey and this has been a doozy it should be experienced: day by day, minute by minute, and even second by second.   I need to reteach myself to eat when hungry and not in fear of a craving that may or may not occur four hours later. 

May your healthFULL Journey stretch your capabilities but not crash over you with limitations. 'Til we meet again . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment