Friday, January 13, 2012

Yes Drill Sergeant!

Do you hear voices?  I do.  Please don't lock me up or send me away.  I perfectly acknowledge these as my subconscious.  And I have been known to share that I am a bit of an extremist.  One day up, one day down, one day all in, one day all "whatever!".  I tend to have two voices for the most part.  My dreamer side - who I believe is a peppy artistic cheerleader.  Very Rah Rah and we can do anything and everything.  And then my other voice tends to sound a bit like a critical Eeyore very ho-hum, tish slow and not much motivated.  Well since the tick tock of midnight welcoming the new year of 2012 and the kick off to my 12 Resolutions for the 12 months of 2012 - an inner drill sergeant has emerged. 

And truth be told - I kind of like this side of me.  Where my cheerleader voice is "Like Okay here we go - we are gonna nail all 12 resolutions maybe add a couple extra let's get going!"  And my Eeyore voice says "Why bother?  Its impossible to accomplish all of them so why bother trying to do any of it"  And in the last couple of years Eeyore tends to be more convincing.  Because the cheerleader side A)can be exhausting and B) a tad bit annoying.  But Eeyore is kind of chill, even if it is in a downer way.  But this emerging drill sergeant is kind of sneaky, extremely commanding, and doesn't take excuses.  My inner Eeyore starts to yawn, pout, and kick out in a deflating manner.  Usually dragging the cheerleader down into an obnoxious whine.  Thats when the drill sergeant steps up, blows the whistle, claps hands, and announces "Ten HUT!" "There's no time for sniveling or complaining. Knock off the whine.  We've got a list to complete. Put on your shoes and grab your jacket. Its time to walk!"  And magically it works.  Sure I am watching the clock tick minutes away when I am at work and I begin to comfort myself with excuses why I probably shouldn't walk.  Its too cold.  I didn't get enough sleep.  I kind of am thirsty.  There was something I wanted to look up on the internet. 

But then loudly and clearly I hear "Sit up!"  "Grab shoes and tie laces!"  "Grab your jacket and phone - oh look its time to walk".  And as I leave my cubicle and jog down the steps I mutter I don't want to walk.  I feel tired.  This won't be fun.  And yet I still push open the door and continue placing one foot in front of the other.  Around the first corner, still miffed that I am walking and halfway around the second corner.  It begins to hit me.  I'm walking.  I didn't want to be walking - it used to be easy to fall prey to my excuses.  But somewhere on this HealthFULL Journey where I am learning to Fully Understand Life by Living I found my inner drill sergeant.  I am learning to exercise for myself and my health and that it needs to be a priority.  Ten hut we've got our marching orders for this grand year of 2012 so let's march!

May your HealthFULL Journey help you discover your inner voice that motivates you to push past the excuses, the obstacles, and the critics. 'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment