Saturday, January 7, 2012

Family Fun Day

We finally had a family fun day.  I say finally because I try to cram a week's worth of activities in a day...and usually more like a week into a half day.  I am still functioning on couple's time not a family's timeline with a child under two.  No longer does the phrase let me just grab the keys and we can go sum up the whole conversation.  That might still be the ending line but that is after my hubby and I take turns asking questions, reciting checklists, changing Drew, changing our outfits because Drew has shared something (drool, snack, and worse but I'll spare ya'll:) Changing Drew again.  putting socks on Drew, Grabbing the diaper bag, grabbing extra toys,  replacing Drew's removed socks with shoes,  grabbing extra jacket, a blanket, grabbing the keys, and then looking for lost shoe (Drew's and mommy's as Drew thinks mommy's shoe(s) makes a fun sound against the floor in different parts of the house.  And by the time we are leaving two stops have been checked off the to do list.  As a matter of fact we just want to go back and sit on the couch but it took all this effort to reach the doorway we feel we should forge ahead.  But today was different.

I didn't try to force fun and errands.  I shared my two goals for the day with my hubby (and kept one quiet in hopes we would do it and we did!!!). We started out with several naps and quiet relaxation time for the parents as we prepare for our beloved Saints playoff game.  Geaux Saints!!!! (Sorry any Lions fans!)  But then we dressed to play outside as the weather was gorgeous. We hit a local playground and our son had a ball. And truthfully so did we.  I actually got a little nervous going down the slide with Drew.  Its only six to seven feet high.  But there was a moment I shrieked inside (What am I doing?  I am in my thirties and honestly believe it has been at least 10 years since I have gone down one. I am not the most coordinated person in the world and my fear was that I was going to fly off the end of the slide and did not have hands free to catch myself as I was holding my son.  Who have I become?  I used to love playgrounds and now a slide makes me nervous!  This is one mommy who needs to get out more. 

We then ran an errand for groceries so we could make a muffaletta sandwich in honor of our New Orleans' players. And as an extra treat on such a beautiful day (the hidden goal) a family outing to an ice cream parlor.  YUM!  What a great ending to a family fun day of playing at the playground by sharing some delicious ice cream. 

I share this outing because we actually left the house in January and played.  As a family we were active.  I hope we have many more moments like today.  Its these kind of moments I feel I am growing in my HealthFULL Journey and reaping the benefits. 

May you experience sunshine throughout your own HealthFULL Journey. 'Til we meet again...           

No comments:

Post a Comment