Sunday, June 10, 2012

Water can Heal

Water can Heal

From time to time an angel of the Lord would come down and stir up the waters.  The first one into the pool after each such disturbance would be cured of whatever disease he had.
John 5:4

It never amazes me how soothing and restorative water can be.  When I am sick there is nothing like a hot shower or a cool bath to restore my energy.  When we get stressed at work we tighten almost to the point we turn into rigid stone but a couple of hours swimming in the ocean relaxes us to the point that it all seems to be part of a too-real nightmare.  Sometimes just looking at an aquarium can de-escalate our blood pressure. 

Scrub a dub - dub!
As I face this week of transition; a secure familiar job of six years being traded for a nine week nanny job I am feeling a jumbled bundle of emotions.  I have some frayed nerves that tumble into endless anxiety.  I have excitement that rivals Christmas Eve awaiting Santa Claus as I plan some activities.  I have sadness as I will be turning in a daily exposure of trusted peers and friends for five enthusiastic children/youth who have boundless and unlimited supplies of energy and creative messes to be had.  I'm having trouble concentrating because of part of me is ready to move forward while another part clings to what I know.

So where do I go?  The bath.  The place where I can control temperature and change it instantaneously if needed or wanted.  A place where I can grab a book and stop the alarming pace of whirring ideas.  A spot where water can soothe the anxiety, heal the confusion, and restore my energy and balance my emotions. 

Surprise, Surprise!  It worked.  I remember when we were looking to buy our house I jumped into the tub (fully clothed) to get a feel - could this house be our family home?  Could this tub be my private oasis?  And needless to say - it was and it is.  I remember when my son's temperature was spiking to degrees that I didn't know were possible and not be fatal our first thought was to get him into a bath.  I remember as a kid thinking the tub was a magical place where I created a storyland that rivaled the cartoons "The Snorks" and "The Jetsons" (this may be why I believe my son is part Mer-man ;)  I remember that first shower after delivering my son and that it lasted roughly forty five minutes.  But that shower felt amazing!!!  And when I am beyond ill and I have no energy to climb out of bed to grab a glass of water regain my energy and feel almost completely healed after a shower or bath. 

This passage of scripture quoted above is when Jesus heals the invalid of thirty-eight years and tells him to pick up his mat and walk.  I heard this sermon a couple of weeks ago in church.  But I feel I lived the sermon today.  I was broken and confused and disheartened as I let doubts, worries, criticism circle my thoughts and bound my heart.  But a dip in the tub and peace is restored, refreshed with energy coursing through my body, and cleansed of the negativity. 

Amazing how we can feel downtrodden one minute and the next minute with a change of perspective, the miracle of water and its healing properties; feel restored and once again, at peace.

May your HealthFULL Journey include time to soak in healing waters so that you too can be restored, refreshed, and cleansed.  'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment