Sunday, May 13, 2012

Poblano? No Problemo!

Do you like spicy food?  I used to say yes to this question.  And growing up in the Northern Midwest where it truly is the land of meat and potatoes I think I can be considered as a person who likes spicy food considering I enjoy MILD salsa :)  However, I fell in love with a Louisiana boy who knows the difference between Cajun and Creole and enjoys eating level 10 Blazin Hot Wings for sport and flavor.  In this perspective No I do not like spicy food and am a bland wimp - but loud and proud! I don't need to prove my taste buds by burning them numb. That being said I do try to let my hubby enjoy spicier foods and slowly build my tolerance level. 

Well last night I attempted to make turkey chili from scratch (a can opener may have been involved) and I have made turkey chili before.  However, I have to confess I tend to grab two or three recipes that I enjoy the flavors listed and then throw whatever I want in a pot.  This works out sometimes.  But by this approach it is very difficult to recreate meals that we enjoyed.  But I attempted it.  I realized we were running out of days in the week and still hadn't tried our new produce of the week.  Usually, I let the produce call out my name in the hunt and work a meal around it.  However it being Saturday night and Turkey chili was up on the menu I looked for what would work in this dish.  I came up with a pepper could be a good addition.  This led me to either the anaheim or the poblano.  Can you guess which one I picked (Hint: Check out the title of this blog ;)  

Did you guess poblano?  You have amazing insight!  The rich dark green color of this poblano made me believe this would have a depth of flavor and possibly some deep heat.  It did not.  It was extremely mild (remember this is coming from a lady who enjoys MILD salsa for some heat - so please believe me when I say this is a mild pepper).  Appearance wise this pepper is HUGE!  You may see it in your grocery store also as a pasilla pepper or when dried it becomes an ancho chili.  Good chances you can find this pepper in most grocery stores. 

I was hoping to actually pick a pepper (say that three times fast :)  that had some kick to cut through the tomato flavor and bean hardiness.  The poblano was tasty but definitely didn't add that kick.  I would have thrown in some of the seeds had I cut into the second one.  But as I started to simmer my turkey chili - the phone was ringing, my pets were demanding food, and my little one who desperately needing a bath (I won't say how many days have passed since he saw the tub :)  and was rummaging in every drawer and dropping pans I decided the second pepper would have to be chopped another day!  The flavor of the raw pepper was a cross between a green pepper and cucumber - very mellow with a distinctive punch.  I read on some web articles (like Wikipedia) that the green poblano is USUALLY mild but occasionally throws the unprepared consumer a surprise heat bomb. 

Our next attempt with the poblano peppers might have to be as a stuffed pepper.  They have a great size with a sturdy flesh to hide a yummy meal inside.  Also with their mild flavor they will add to the meal some spice without burning your tongue and a beautiful color for presentation.

If you are looking to step outside your kitchen comforts and spice things up without walking too far on the wild side definitely try the poblano.  Like I said I will definitely try another recipe or two.  It did well being diced and tossed in our turkey chili. But next time I will work more towards the poblano's natural strengths (size and color) which means a stuffed pepper is in our family's near future.

May your HealthFULL Journey keep your days spicy and your nights mild! 'Til we meet again. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment