Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Moments that catch you offguard

You know that moment.  When you hear a song in the elevator and you whisked back to high school.  When you bump into a stranger and for the briefest second reminds you of a dear old friend.  You hear a voice in a crowded restaurant and you know you have heard it before.  And the trails to the past come linked together.  If you allow one memory they easily latch together and can overwhelm you.  I have felt so overwhelmed lately.  Lack of sleep, lack of control, lack of that "something".  I am reminiscing because I had a "moment" recently, one of those moments that you know in that second is a life lesson.  Maybe you can't pin it down but you know something significant has changed. 

I was shopping with my little one.  Getting impatient because it was for those tedious items we use everyday but no one likes buying.  TP and toiletries, essential kitchen stapes yadda yadda yadda.  In search of our toiletries we were on a mission to replace the pouf (think fancy sponge).  I found a fancy girly pouf and threw it in the cart, although I really just wanted the standard cheaper version.  I've noticed they both need replacing about the same.  Ahha!  Found it.  I chucked my fancy pouf in the box with the standards and plucked a cheaper from the pile into my cart.  Seven steps I flip flopped my way forward in haste to finish our chore.  But one glance down into those pretty blues and half tooth smile, I quickly retreated backwards seven steps without even a mere glance.  Claimed my fancy pouf and loofah brush (not mine) and headed back to the fancy pouf aisle.  Because in that one glance down I realized my mistake for two reasons.  One I used to complain when I had to return items of lazy shoppers that couldn't put their item away (or at least bring to the cashier so that it can be returned to the proper place).  I just know my misplaced pouf would cause a duel.  And I grabbed the loofah brush because we should go the second mile for others.  And really the brushes hang two inches to the left of the fancy poufs.  But the real motivator is the little guy.  He isn't quite ten months old.  Will he remember this life lesson?  No.  But I will and I know someday he will be watching and he will understand.  And copying what he sees.  I'm not perfect, but that shouldn't stop me from making corrections when I can.  We shared a moment that reminded me not to give in to the immediate gratification of moving on.  Remembering that my careless act would cause others extra work, extra hassle, and extra cost.  It was one small gesture, but the lesson resonated.  We usually only learn a moment's significance in hindsight.  But what a precious gift to realize the importance during the moment.  Having a son has changed me, my heart, my thoughts, and my priorities.  I list time, health, faith, and love pretty high these days.  All so precious, and all so fleeting. 

May your HealthFULL Journey magnify those precious life learning moments so that you can truly enjoy them in the moment. 'Til we meet again. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment