Saturday, December 8, 2012

To Be Still. . .

Be still and know that I am God. . . . -Psalm 46:10 (NIV -  partial verse)
 
This is not my home ;)  Welcome to the Biltmore Estate Christmas 2008 - Ashville, NC



Shhhh!!!!!! . . . . . .Deeply Breathe In and Long Exhale. Repeat and enjoy this time for one minute.  Wasn't that nice?  It is okay to take time to be quiet in this hurried season.  It helps to remember the REASON for the Season.  In the middle of a Christmas party I took a twenty minute nap.  Well maybe not in the center of the room but quietly snuck out to take in some quiet time.  A lot of news has been moving through my household  - some good, some not so good, and all a little bit stressful and then pour on the activities and schedule of the busy Christmas Season and I thought I was about to lose my mind. 
 
So I took a few moments to sneak out of my brother's house to appreciate the efforts of their entire household (echoed in many households this time of the year) from their decorations, to yummy treats, to beautiful children clad in their Christmas attire, while hosting a cozy festive affair inside their home.  I was without my guys as they were recuperating at home from their little bouts of illness. So it was me, myself, and I and I snuck unto their pool deck out of sight from the bustling household brimming with joy. 
 
It was the perfect moment to be still.  My brother loves Christmas lights - I mean loves them all: Icicles, twinkling, chasing, multi-colored, white lights, big bulbs, little bulbs, nettings, big ol' tacky Christmas blow-ups to a beautiful humble nativity scene removed from all of the over the top brightly colored items.  This scene serves as a great reminder to enjoy the festivities but remember the true REASON we celebrate and to preserve the holiness of the occasion.  Enjoy the treats, exchange the gifts but please take a moment to reflect on that miraculous night of holiness - the birth of our Savior - Emmanuel (God is with us). 
 
So as I said I snuck up the stairs which were high-lighted by multi-colored changing "carrot" lights (affectionately and appropriately described by my niece).  On their pool shed are slowly twinkling white lights that tried to be the death of my brother as he precariously stood on a slanted ladded resting on slanted ground.  Not the first time my brother's extra work benefitted me - he's a pretty good guy I must admit ;)  The air had a nice cool crispness as I settled into a pool chaise to face the white lights and surrounded by the decorated railing of carrot lights (cracks me up because they do look like carrots - how yet again a child's honest perspective daily changes my limited vision).  While resting in the moment enjoying the beautiful lights, the slight breeze nipping at my nose, and the sounds of my nieces and nephews running around with exuberant joy only to stop to welcome more guests - I felt God in the stillness.  It was beautiful.  I felt His warmth, His peace, and His love.  As I snuggle deeper into the chaise I begin to hear Christmas music and was worried for my sanity.  Was I really hearing Christmas carols or imagining them so vividly?  As a chuckle escaped from my lips I recalled that my brother has over the top Christmas decorations one being a tree that stands quite tall and dances/lights up in rhythm to the Christmas carols it emits.  Its a decoration that stands yards above the rest in function, fun, and true Christmas delight :)  
 
But as I sit there alone and just resting in the stillness I recounted all the times that I have enjoyed the quietness and wonder of enjoying Christmas lights and used them as almost a means of healing.  Christmas lights are a good ol' friend that has seen my rough edged kind of memory moments including concussion, break-ups (pre and post), breakdowns, rough illnesses of my own and those I love.  I think the soothing comfort traces back to early childhood as this was one of my favorite family Christmas traditions.  Every year mid-December (usually in honor of my brother's birthday) we would drive around for hours looking at the Christmas decorations surrounding our community.   Of course we had our yearly favorites, we would comment on many new additions those we liked or those we didn't, and we would also be still for minutes upon minutes just soaking up the delightful twinkling decor. 
 
All of this comfort of memories surrounded me with warmth and contentment as my breathing slowed into a deep quiet rhythm, my brain lulled into rest by the quiet stillness, and minutes passed as I enjoyed a Christmas night under the dark sky allowing the Christmas lights to shine even more. 
 
May your HealthFULL Journey be overflowing with joy, fellowship, and fun.  May there also be time to be still, quiet, and resting in the arms of God.  'Til we meet again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment