Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Checklist for Health

To Keep Motivated on this Journey I feel I should elaborate on where I am and where I want to go. Lists are a great way to define boundaries and to show progress; so let's make one together. This way celebratory milestones are more apparent and in which areas I could use some tough love. What Actions do I Plan to Complete Towards my HealthFULL Journey? 1. Drink more Water.
I love Flavored Beverages!!! Especially Soda whether it be Diet or Sugar
and drinking 6 cans daily was typical. So I am aiming to drink the recommended 64 oz. H2O
and limiting my soda intake to a can or less a day.
2. Go to the Gym Twice a Week.
Really I hope this grows to four times a week,
but at least going twice a week I won't feel like I am throwing money away every month.
3. Eat Less Meat.
I am hoping to consume two meat-free suppers a week
and at least three meat-free lunches a week.
I am hoping this will encourage a more nutritious menu overall
by focusing on "Healthy whole-food flavors" and not immediate cravings for fat and salt.
4.Try At Least One New Vegetable, Fruit, or Whole-Grain A Week.
Time to break out of the Comfort Zone and bring in new Flavors.
This will hopefully help keep things interesting and serve as a reminder
that this is a journey and not a race. For in races we look for quick fads
on how to get the fastest results, in a journey we are more interested in learning
new skills, exploring new tastes, and making choices about what we discover.
5. Less TV. More Movement.
Sadly my DVR is way too close of a friend. I want to get some
extra movement in everyday.
I sure wouldn't mind hitting my 10000 daily steps or at least 30 minutes daily
but to start off I will settle for a couple of reps of climbing my stairs, sit-ups, or stretches.
6. That Exercise becomes Fun and no Longer a Chore.
I want to think of participating in sports, a night out dancing,
or playing with my puppy as relaxing activities
and not moments to check the watch after ten minutes and go Yeah, I'm Done.
To Increase this I want to try one out of the rut big event activity monthly.
*For Example: Charity Event, Join a sport, Big Hike, dog park*
7. Sleep 6 Hours a Night.
I have always had a crazy sleep routine.
Anywhere from three to four hours average nightly.
Then maybe one big night of sleep for nine - ten hours.
Back to four - five hours a night, then a twelve hour sleepfest.
By getting a true night's sleep I hope to have more control
over moods, cravings, and motivation.
8. No Snack Binges.
I get the munchies like nobody's business.
Then the cravings kick in and I lose total control. I say this
half-joking. Sweet, salty, crunchy, and topped off with a little fat
in my world this equals potato chips.
I have been known to polish off more than my fair share.
Snacks okay - Healthy snacks Great!!!
Binges be gone!!!
9. To Release my Inner Suzy-Homemaker.
She's been screaming to come out for almost three decades.
Let's see what she's got! By cooking two meals a week,
this will make the meals more satisfying (according to my husband -
who has lovingly played cook for a majority of our marriage.)
By participating in planning the menus, shopping smart, allowing my creative side to play
this will a) limit our eating out, b) encourage nutritious discipline,
and c) be more HealthFULL.
I think this list gives a great foundation for my HealthFULL journey.
Thank you for taking this Step with me!

1 comment:

  1. Good idea trying new fruits, veggies and grains. I think I should try that, too. It would make going to the grocery store more fun and adventurous. And I would really start thinking about what exactly it is that I'm eating.

    ReplyDelete