Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolution Refreshments

 
 
Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth and no plant had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no one to work the ground,  but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground.  Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
- Genesis 2: 5 - 7
 
 

 
I like comfort. Don't you?  It's a trap that is easy to fall into - such as the thought(s) "What can you, your establishment, or the world do for me to make MY life easier?"  Oh wait, that is not at all why God created us.  Hmmm... if I look back on my actions I can see I get lost now and then... on pretty much a daily basis.  From the beginning of the Bible God intended us to "work the ground". And I would have to say at least 85% of the time I am looking for someone to either take my work, make my work easier, or procrastinating/hiding from the work.  Thankfully, it is that time of year when we are reminded to start fresh, to seize the day, and make resolutions.  I know many people are not fan of the resolutions but I like them.  If they don't last all year at least the awareness was attained, the attempt happened, and that one stride in the right direction stops the avalanche of backsliding even if temporarily. Goals are important and whether they are made January 1st, March 23rd, July 12th, or October 19th.  Any day of the year is a good day to start improving oneself - hopefully, for the glory of God.   So in honor of 2014 this once again is the year of FULL (Feeling Unbelievable & Loving Life) Health with 14 goals.  2013 brought a 30 lb. weight loss and maintenance still quite a ways to go but something to build upon:)   
 
#1 - I believe I have a strong relationship with God but could definitely use more intentional time of devotion to the Almighty. This means the daily commitment I tell myself repeatedly that I am going to improve ...tomorrow.  And though I talk/pray daily most days are those rattled off pleas during crisis or daily rotation of grace during meals, bedtime prayers, or immediate check-ins that somehow morph into my to- do lists.  So with intention I want to pray, read scriptures/devotions, and meditate daily for an hour six days a week.  I need a day of grace to either catch up, schlub, or remember other duties. I'm going to permit myself to start slowly starting at 15 minutes and work up to the hour by the beginning of lent. 
 
 
#2 - Still need to kick this extra weight to the curb - 100 pound loss for 2014.  Which may sound crazy ridiculous but A) my body needs to let it go and B) that's less than 10 pounds a month.  I just need to keep reminding myself this weight took 30 plus years to gain it won't come off tomorrow or next week or even by next month - but some pounds can and will! I've got my gym membership I just need to use it. 
 
#3 - Alright to lose the weight means exercise is necessary.  Again gym membership - no excuses!  My trusty Wii probably could use a good dusting and the library DVDs are always a hit around our house.  Drew loves climbing around/on mommy during the workouts - we've had some huge laughs around yoga :)  The eventual goal is five times a week for an hour would be amazing but will start five times in a week for 15 minutes a day to get me started.
 
#4 - Eating healthy needs to be combined with exercise.  I loved our weekly introduction to produce or a grain.  We got away from this fun habit.  Must begin again!!!
 
#5 - Also more meal planning is needed which means more cooking at home.  I would love to see us eating meatless at least once if not twice a week.
 
#6 - Hard to admit but the water drinking is almost non-existent and the soda drinking way on the rise.  Must flip this around.  I know I feel better when I am drinking mostly water but I always buy the last "soda" every shopping trip.  Plus it is expensive!!! Do I quit cold-turkey?  (That sounds awful which means I probably should).  I have these horror images that I will sneak out to a 24 hour grocery story and buy sodas in the middle of the night sipping the forbidden liquid in parking lots glancing around at any nearby person. 
 
#7 - So physical and spiritual health are covered.  And we are half-way.  Mental health would include wait for it - organizational improvement.  This is not my skill set.  But I will keep improving.  As I am a student procrastination is not my friend.  I am actually going to read all of the assigned reading instead of super skimming and all papers will be done 24 hours before deadline not just being started.  I can already feel the stress sliding off my shoulders. 
 
#8 - Housework would help the mental capacities.  I need to figure out a system and commit to it.  I really do like www.flylady.net working a little bit each day and making huge strides in the big picture.
 
#9 - Emotional health includes sharing my gratitude more.  I have these amazing moments in prayer or reflection how truly blessed I am and then I step back into the real world and rarely convey to those I appreciate.  How strange that we can a thank a stranger in a heartbeat but those we truly love and know it is almost embarrassing to truly say what we mean. 
 
#10 - Sometimes we just need to let it out - those words, those thoughts, those moments that just run around in our heads.  To function I need to dump the excess layers of thought somewhere and that is why I have this blog.  So with this many goals I plan to write five times a week about this HealthFULL Journey.  As a way to make sense of the efforts, accountability, and to motivate these needed changes.  Now some blogs might be just a quote but I think the intention and the consistency will help these goals meet success. 
 
#11 - Still too much of a homebody and I am afraid my son will learn that so 2 outings to new places, non frequent visitings, or social/fun meeting family and friends.
 
#12 - I liked the monthly effort to contribute in some way to a different charity and want to attempt that again.
 
#13 - Financial health means a better budget is needed in our household.  What would help with that is a job for me as extra income would help delete some of these extra bills. 
 
#14 - To have fun, be creative, and to seek out new ways to share my faith.
 
May your 2014 bring you:
" And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Cor. 13:13
God Bless YOU!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment